Thursday, January 4, 2007

El Fontan

El Fontan is a market in Oviedo, where my mother has a fruit and vegetables shop. I have been there helping her since I was a little child.
Before I help my mum selling lettuce because it was the easiest thing to sell, but with the years I sell everything and I met a lot of people.
There are around 40 shops inside the market including fruit shops, butchers, a bakery, fish shops, etc. I know all of them and in some cases they are as part of my family such as Azucena or Enedina.
My favorite season to be there helping is summer because a lot of tourists go to the market to see the building and to buy Spanish products, so I have the opportunity of practice my English or my German.
During these days I was there some mornings helping my mother and I realized again that I prefer to continue studying journalism than to be there: it is a very hard work from 6 in the morning until 8 in the night, you have to be very patient with the clients, and you have to move a lot of weights.
So I continue saying that journalism is the most beautiful profession in the world although it is also hard.
Market's front door/ Puerta principal del mercado
Mercado El Fontán
My mother´s fruit shop/ La frutería de mi madre
Fruteria
Products of a fish shop/ Productos de una pescadería
Gula del norte
Azucena and I/ Azucena y yo
Azucena y yo
Enedina and I/ Enedina y yo
Enedina y yo

And now in Spanish...
Y ahora en español...

El Fontán es un mercado donde mi madre tiene una tienda de frutas y verduras. Yo he ido allí a ayudarla desde pequeña.
Antes ayudaba a mi madre vendiendo lechuga porque era la cosa más sencilla para vender, pero con los años he vendido de todo y he conocido un montón de gente.
Hay alrededor de 40 puestos en el mercado que incluyen fruterías, carnicerías, una panadería, pescaderías, etc. Yo conozco a todos los vendedores y en algunos casos son como parte de mi familia, como Azucena o Enedina.
Mi temporada favorita para ayudar es el verano porque hay muchos turistas en el mercado que visitan el edificio o van a comprar productos españoles, así que tengo la oportunidad de practicar mi inglés o mi alemán.
Durante estos días he ido varias veces a ayudar a mi madre y me he dado cuenta de que prefiero continuar estudiando periodismo que estar allí: es muy duro trabajar desde las 6 de la mañana hasta las 8 de la tarde, hay que tener mucha paciencia con los clientes y mover muchos pesos.
Así que continuo diciendo que el periodismo es la profesión más bonita del mundo aunque también es dura.

No comments:

This is not an official page of Drake University. Content, comments and information are not necessarily those of Drake University.